Marc MERLIN (click for contact info)
The trained eye will notice that this resume is very old and out of date. Who even cares or knows about mail over UUCP over TCP or maintains source code with CVS/RCS nowadays? :)
I just don't update this page yearly (it's more than 10 years old) since I don't have a need to.
To recruiters, please read this:
I know you have an interesting offer, but
- I'm not commuting to San Francisco. Traffic sucks, parking sucks, your car gets keyed or broken into, and if you take a shared bus you end up in "go away richie" protest. Yes, there are some nice restaurants, I go there on occasion for that, but just for that.
- I'm definitely not moving to San Francisco either or elsewhere.
- If your company is on the list of those who sue others about patents (Microsoft, Oracle, Apple, and others), I'm sorry that you have to recruit for them. and understand that I'll never work for them on principle.
- More money won't really change this, sorry.
- More generally, I just switched to 50% time to enjoy time more and really don't need a full time job elsewhere, sorry.
- I know you'd like me to refer my friends, but honestly I don't want to bother them and most recruiters would want me to do their job for free and then keep the entire fee for the search even if I found them someone and did the job (a few offered a cut, which was at least appreciated). That said, it's not a money issue, I just have too many other things to do with my time.
None: currently happily employed at Google
(recruiters, no need to call)
- Sept 2002-Present
- Employed as Senior Linux Server Admin at
- July 2002-Sept 2002
- Employed as Senior Linux Server and Network Admin at
Intransa (two month contract to redesign
the engineering network and help the company move)
- May 2001-July 2002
- Employed as Senior Linux Server Admin and Technical Lead at
VA Software: I rebuilt the whole
linux infrastructure from the ground up, and designed a centrally maintained
and rolled out distribution based on Debian Linux. Among my many other duties
(see computer experience), I designed and rebuilt the
mail infrastructure for
sourceforge.net (1 million emails/day)
- Sept 1997-May 2001
- Working as a Network administrator/Unix Sysadmin at
Here are the assignments I've had so far (reverse chronogical order):
- VA Software (aka VA Linux/VA
Research). IT support for the engineering group (linux sysadmin/networking).
- Silicon Graphics. Unix sysadmin, Desktop
support, Configuration and Maintenance of high end servers
- Datamain (General unix system administration, advanced linux configuration
(masquerading and port forwarding with development kernels), networking).
- Network Appliance (redesigned the
backend of the Netapp On the Web site, by mirroring a Sybase database behind a
firewall in Berkeley NewDB files using OOP Perl). Also did some sysadmin work
and Linux tech support.
- Jan-June 1997
- Worked at Metawire
while worked part time while going graduate level studies at
USC/ISI in Los Angeles.
- June-Dec 1996
- Seven month internship in Unix and Network administration at
Hollywood Center Studios.
In short, I installed and configured Unix systems (Solaris, SGI, AIX,
AUX, Linux); found, identified, and fixed problems (network jams, old daemons,
memory or disk space problems); created custom solutions for clients (mail via
UUCP over TCP); configured and installed routers; and did customer support
- June-Sept 1995
- Three month Internship in Unix administration in Paris: built a
Web server from scratch (from building a PC, installation,
setting up and administration of Linux, to Perl programming for CGI
scripts). Did network administration and built a firewall for the local
- March-June 1995
- Freelance programming for
Applix France in the Paris area (an ELF
program for a publishing company that generates their weekly ads journal
automatically by using data entered on remote terminals over the phone).
- Linux: Inside-out knowledge of Linux
(especially Debian and
- Unix: From in-depth to some Unix administration experience on
Irix 5.x/6.x, AIX 4.1, SunOs 4.1.4, Solaris 2.x.
- Email: Excellent knowledge of Email with
Exim 4, Exim 3, and
Mailman (all of which I
contributed code to)
In Depth knowledge of mail protocols like SMTP, POP, and IMAP.
- Unix tools: Good knowledge of Unix and its administration
(DNS/BIND, SENDMAIL, INN 2.x, Taylor UUCP (UUCP
over TCP, mail and news), mailing lists (bidirectional mailing list to news
gatewaying), multihoming (non IP intensive http multihosting, sendmail
and ftp multihosting), SSH, NIS, NFS, PPP, DHCP, Samba,
- Webmaster: Apache, Squid caching, CGI scripts,
- Networking: Very good knowledge of TCP/IP, routing,
firewalling, and overall network security
- Security: Good knowledge of security, from securing against buffer
overflows and other attacks with
grsecurity, to network
monitoring with snort, and log
500+ custom rules).
Setup of SSH/OPIE and SFS for secure remote logins and file sharing.
Designed and wrote VPN authentication scheme with one time passwords
- Routing: Advanced routing on linux, basic knowledge
of Cisco routers,
Ascend ISDN routers (from
pipeline 25 to Max 4000), Annex terminal adapters, and
- NAS: Good knowledge of
filers (NTAP 1 and 2 certified)
- Programming: Good knowledge of RCS/CVS, GNU Makefiles, C,
Unix system programming, Unix shell programming (Bash) and advanced
knowledge of PERL 4 and PERL 5.
Basic knowledge of C++, Lisp, Prolog, Pascal, ASM 68k & 68HC11.
- Backups: Sitewide backup implementation with
amanda (including custom local patches)
- Creation of and participation to many
Open Source projects
- Gave linux talks on Unix passwords and DNS/DHCP/YP generation from a single
- DOS and Windows 3.1x/9x knowledge (learned at a time when I
didn't know any better ). Fairly good understanding of Netbios, Wins,
and SMB file sharing
Basic Macintosh knowledge.
||A semester of studies for my masters degree at USC
Top graduating student in computer science at
EFREI (French school of Electronics
Engineering and Computer Science; leading private five-year French engineering
Mathématique Supérieure (Mathematics & Physics preparation studies for top
students; mandatory for many engineering schools)
Top ten graduating Senior in Pacific High School, Pacific, Missouri, as an exchange student
- Native French Speaker
- Bilingual in English
- Some knowledge of
Japanese, Dutch, and German.
- Contributor to Linux Journal's
best of technical support section
- Vice President and President of the
Silicon Valley Linux User Group
- Typing faster than most kung-fu masters, skateboarding better than most
hockey players, and programming better than Einstein, my cat, and my mom
2002/07/10 (11:23): Version 6.0: big updates
2002/07/11 (09:55): Version 6.1: minor updates and tweaks
2002/10/25 (08:52): Version 6.2: Added info on Intransa and Google